small steps

small steps

Friday, August 2, 2013

Expectations.

Somewhere along the way I have grown into someone who holds high expectations...for everything.

If you tell me in December, you're renting a lake house in Michigan for the last week of July/first week of August, I immediately expect and anticipate perfect sunshine beach weather for the entire 6 days of vacation.

If you allow me to unleash my inner party/hostess love through a baby or bridal shower, I instantly expect myself to produce tables of picture perfect treats & handmade decorations that exceed anything Martha Stewart could come up with.

If I put my mind and effort into training for a race, I expect myself not just to finish but to finish well. To not be last. To look like a rock star at the finish line.

When I pour into others, when I plan & prepare, when hard work is mixed with time and sweat and tears...I expect a lot. All. the. time.

So, when it's cold and rainy at the lake every day except one...when, I go to pick up the gluten free expensive cupcakes I ordered weeks ago for the picture perfect shower I'm throwing and they have multi colored sprinkles that don't match my lavender party theme...when the race I've trained months for with early morning runs, runs in the rain, puncturing a cornea in the training process ends at a halt on mile five due to a pinched nerve that's turned my toes numb...I completely melt down.

My expectations are shattered. I revert to my inner "debbie-downer" (sorry to all the debbie's who have to put up with this term). All that I've hoped for...all I've dreamed and expected and waited on is suddenly swallowed away by my disappointment.

Again and again over this past year, I've been wrestling with that word: expectation. I've been journaling about it. I've been praying that God would soften my heart to the many expectations I've held on so tightly to for so long. I've prayed and I've prayed. I've wrestled and wrestled.

"God knows my heart, He knit me this way," is the justification I've held on too and told myself again and again. I'm thankful that God does soften me. That He teaches me to little by little to begin to let go.

I have been spending a lot of time in the Gospel of Matthew this summer. In part because we based a lot of our mission trip teachings from Jesus' teachings in the Gospels, but also because God has continually drawn me back to it over these past few months. These are the words that have really been brought a fresh to my heart, Matthew 16: 24, "Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

It's time for me to pick up this load of expectations I put way too much weight and attention on all the time and put my eyes back on the prize of following Jesus.

Are expectations and hopes a bad thing? No way. For me, it's the melt downs. It's the disappointments when I fall short, when things don't work out...when the beach days don't happen. This is what has gotten in the way of me following Jesus with freedom and with joy. I'm humbled by my Heavenly Father, who allows me to keep working on all of this...who doesn't let go of me when I do melt down--but who ultimately wants more for me. Wants me to trust Him and follow Him and seek Him with all of me...because He has so much more in store than my own heart and brain could dream up or expect on my own.

I'm sure I'll melt down sooner than I hope...but I'm thankful that He wants to stretch me and mold me beyond those melt downs of missed expectations and that I can expect all things in Him.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Proud of all the things you share with an open heart!

    ReplyDelete